Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Thoughts on Twitter, Flip a Coin, and Family Time

I'm pretty sure I have a terrible addiction to Twitter. There's something about the social feed that I just can't get enough of. Perhaps it's that I can get a glimpse at the life of the rich and famous I follow, or get the opportunity for one of them to tweet me back if I ask them a question during the occasions they'll play 20 questions.

Twitter - in comparison to the rest of social media - has really bridged that gap that used to exist with celebrities and the Average Joe. Sure, generally celebs follow each other and stick to their own circles. But Twitter has allowed people to see into their busy lives and find out about the projects they're working on or see pictures they snap in real time.

Not to mention, a lot of good things have come from Twitter. Charities raise money by tweeting and getting retweeted. Family can connect to each other in a disaster to inform of their well-being. Celebrities get auctioned off, the winners receiving a phone call and a "follow" from the celeb. News spreads, and people are kept informed. Advertising can occur for free and can generate a lot of interest. Grassroots movements can rise up and literally take the world by storm - "Help Nathan Buy Firefly" being the best example.

If there's any social media site I know I'll stay a member of, Twitter would be the one. I've had some of the best conversations on Twitter that really, it's a way to connect with people all over the globe and feel more apart of their lives than just chatting on some anonymous forum. It feels personal, and yet the best area to market yourself when trying to gain followers and getting noticed by perhaps some big names out there. I'm going to stick with Twitter, because once I get published - maybe make it on Oprah's Book Club? - I want my fans to have the same kind of contact with me that I've had with my idols.

----------------------------------

It never ceases to amaze me at how I decide plot points. Most would assume that a story idea was pretty linear in my head - or at least the general plot - and I'd weave other threads around that idea to give the story depth and make it interesting. Plot ideas are just "sure things" in a writer's head, right?

*buzzer noise* Wrong!

Some plot points are things that I'm certain about. But when push comes to shove, and I really need to decide on something I've been stewing about, I flip a coin. 

----------------------------------

I don't have any siblings. When I was little, I used to bother my mom about wanting a little brother - mostly because little girls scare me, unless they like Poke'mon - and I've been a tomboy all my life, so a boy would be the easiest to get along with. But that never happened. I'll forever be an only child.

Ironically, rather than give me siblings, I live relatively close to my cousins. As in, they literally live a mile up the street. I'm kind of like the big sister they don't have. They're C, male 14 years old, and H, female 17 years old. For cousins, we're pretty close. Strangely, they ask me for relationship advice - from someone who's never had a boyfriend - to hanging out on occasion to see a movie or just spend a few hours video gaming.

They're what I assume it would be like to have siblings.... Or at least distant siblings that are pretty civil with each other.

I can't complain about being an only child. I'm independent, have a love for reading, don't have to share a room, and can spend my weekends and weeknights however I want without needing to babysit. Yes, childhood did have it's lonely moments. I often didn't have kids to play with either - my neighborhood has a lot of retirees - but I can thank my childhood for having a voracious imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment