Search This Blog

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Thoughts on Scrabble, Accents, and Growing Apart

Word games are a guilty pleasure. Probably because it's one of the few places I can use my large vocabulary and not feel bad when people don't know what the word means. But when I speak aloud, I generally dumb down my language. It's a habit from work since there are plenty of people that barely understand English, so I have to keep things simple.

Unfortunately it's a terrible rut to fall into. I don't have the ability to have too many spur of the moment intelligent conversations. Strictly, everything I talk about is either work, or video game related. On occasion we speak about what recently appeared on CNN via the break room televisions.

I stick to Scrabble, and Word with Friends too much. I need more stimuli than this.

-----------------------

I've forever wished to have grown up somewhere else. A country with an accent in particular. Yes, the United States has it's range of accents, but I feel like Seattle, and Washington in general, don't have an accent. The Northwest feels very void of them. However, I wouldn't want to relocate my childhood to another area of the country. I'd want to move to an entirely different continent.

And yes, that continent would be Europe, more country specific as Ireland or the UK. But there's something particular about a British accent that is attractive. Plus, British English.

Right now, I'm actually reading this in my head as if I had a British accent. Why? I have no idea. I tend to use the UK spelling more for various words in comparison to others. Exampes: realise, colour, favourite, and theatre are some of the words I prefer. I wish I knew why I love British accents so much. It could be a wide range of things, some of them having to do with writing. Phonetically writing dialogue is probably my favourite "activity" when working on a story. Stretching my mind to think how it sounds when someone talks and the pronunciation of each word. Fascinating.

-----------------------

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances.
-As You Like It, Act II, Scene 7, Lines 139-141

I've always had trouble keeping friends. They'll be in my life for a certain number of years, and then they're gone before I know it. People don't just stay consistent. There are a few that I do keep in close contact with, but I could probably count them on one hand. With each exit of a friend, I tend to lose a piece of my social circle. At this point, I've probably been closed off from the circle of friends that still live locally.

It's as simple as growing apart. Our ambitions are in different directions. The drive to see those goals through, contrast. But the support to see each other succeed should still be there. That need to still converse, and care for the other should still exist. Catching up can be as simple as a text message, all the way up to grabbing coffee or dinner.

But showing concern obviously can't be that simple. There's got to be a twist thrown in there, making the entire endeavor that much harder. Growing apart isn't easy to accept, especially when it's someone you've known for more than just five years.

No comments:

Post a Comment