Search This Blog

Monday, August 15, 2011

Thoughts on The Help Part 2, and Nigel Thornberry

Yes, it's a two topic day, but probably because the first topic is going to be long. But don't worry. Endure and you'll be rewarded with a hilarious video.

 So I rambled on about the movie yesterday, mostly about how great it was - which it is, so go see it. Like, right NOW.

I would have talked about this yesterday, but then that post would have gone on forever. What better way then to break it up now that I've had more time to think about this movie? [Some Spoilers after the cut]
Ideally, with any book, movie or entertainment media, the audience is supposed to identify with a character. Whether it's the protagonist or a member of the supporting cast, people can generally see themselves or part of themselves in one of the roles on screen.

In a lot of ways I really identified with Skeeter. Besides being a writer, there were a lot of other things that I really had in common with her. She was passionate about her writing and about wanting to work on something that other people were so against. But her being so focused on her writing isn't actually what I most identified with her about.

Skeeter is fiercely independent. While her classmates at Ol'e Miss left school once they were engaged, Skeeter remained single and continued with her studies. She graduated and applied for working at The Jackson Journal in her hometown. People thought it odd, including her own mother - who wanted grandchildren before she got even more sick. Her friends continued to try and set her up, telling her that she should get a guy, get married and have children. They wanted to see Skeeter join their life of settling down and having children, bossing around the maids that had raised them.

But that's all just back story. What I'm really trying to get at... is when Skeeter and Stewart [played by hot-stuff Chris Lowell] are arguing about her not wanting to go out on a date with him. After several lines, Skeeter finally admits that she has never dated or had a boyfriend. He laughs and can't believe what's he's hearing, but also adds that it's no surprise. They date for a time and then once again she's single.

Much like Skeeter, I've never dated. And I know what it's like to see those around you date, get engaged, and move on with life. It's odd, and certainly doesn't leave a great feeling about yourself. But its one of the reasons why I enjoyed the movie so much. I didn't think I could have anyone I would identify with in a movie about the 1960s. The entire decade and era in general just seemed very shut in and picture perfect like the Brady Bunch. Everything seemed to always be in place despite the fear of the Cold War and those dastardly communists.

I definitely need to read this book.

------------------------

And now for that funny video I promised you. If you've ever seen The Wild Thornberries, then you'll perhaps understand this video. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment