Search This Blog

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Thoughts on Write-ins, Shuffle, and Next Year

In previous years, I could never make it to a write-in. There were plenty of them out there, but I never had a means of traveling to them. This year I can finally drive to write-ins and hang out with fellow writers. There are definitely a lot of great people I've met so far.

That's the best part about NaNoWriMo. The community of it all. There's nothing more thrilling than writing during a word sprint and succeeding in getting the highest word count of the group. Well, not always. I have a terrible  habit of backspacing and fixing the typos. Any writer does. So I've been adjusting to that while writing during sprints for 10 minutes. And wow, I can type really fast when need be.

But actually, I tend to type much faster when writing dialogue. Suddenly my story is full of ridiculous amounts of dialogue that has nothing to do with the plot. Thank you, brain.

And I'm getting a lot written in a write-in. Like, easily 3k in four ten-minute word sprints. It is truly awesome. What's even better, is that I don't realize how many words I've written until the night is over.


-------------------

I didn't used to use shuffle when listening to music on Windows Media Player. Often times, I'd just listen to the list I'd made in order and do that over and over and over again. And yet now, I've found that shuffle does have it's good points.

So far, I've enjoyed getting random songs to come up that have something to do with my novel, or perhaps aren't right for the present mood.

-------------------

A coworker started suggesting things that he was interested in me writing. Of the things he's read of mine, he really wanted to know what my take would be on a post apocalypse novel. And so now, I've been plotting the novel and figuring out what I should do and what I shouldn't do based on what's already been done.

Next year will be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment